Tuesday 2 June 2015

Ceramics




The Tricorn Centre. 

We looked at the Tricorn Centre ,it was voted the 3rd most ugliest building in Britain in the 1980s. The Tricorn Centre was a shopping, nightclub and car complex in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. It was designed in the Brutalist style by Owen Luder Partnership. We looked at using tiles too work in the style of Esther Coombs. Esther Coombs is a professional illustrator living and working in rural Hampshire. She is best known for drawing buildings, sometimes on ceramics. She works from grand cityscapes to intimate studies of individual rural structures. She also draws domestic objects, even draws natural subjects such as animals, plants and people. (She's also drawn the Queen) http://www.esthercoombs.com/about

We decided to look at the Tricorn Centre as it almost fit in with the same techniques in which she creates. We had used a sharpie on a tile to produce a piece of work like hers. We were given various images of the Tricorn at different angles and to show off the elements in which the centre had. I had chosen three images of the Tricorn and tried to choose the right composition to produce a collaged piece and incorporating the Tricorn in different styles.

If I were to reproduce the tile with the same technique but with a different style and different land mark I'd like to compose a much larger scale imagery to focus on. I would choose Wymering Church or Portchester Castle to focus on as it is key landmarks around the area in which I live.
I would choose these buildings as I believe they highlight the different characters within the area I'm located. In addition, I would like to do this as I am able to include and relate to the area in which my focused target audience is.

When working with the sharpie pen I had encountered problems such as that if I had made a mistake I had a limited amount of time to wipe away the pen before it became permanently fixed onto the tile. I also had a problem that if I had tried to add a deeper colour it would then make weird white marks as the pen would almost scrape off the pen when drawing on the tile. Furthermore, it is best to work out a specific laid out detailed structure/template of the work as you need to free style the work as it is best to make sure that there is no dirt, dust or any fingerprints which may effect the style or outcome of your work.








No comments:

Post a Comment